Friday, October 1, 2010

My new You Tube of 'Goldenheart'


Please have a little look at my 'Goldenheart' You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-wkY0AeBuk.
Please let me know what you think as its is my first self made clip.

For those of you considering making a You Tube yourselves, I'll let you know a little about what I've learnt about storytelling and You Tubes.

I learned last year through a business course called Imagine What's Next, that You Tubes are the best free advertising you can get. Like may solo and micro business owners, I have a slim budget for marketing, so I decided I definitely needed and wanted a You Tube clip. My recording engineer Michael at Nomad Digital, told me that sound quality is more important than image quality, so I approached someone to take a series of still shots as I told 'Goldenheart'. Then she matched it up with the sound track with lyre accompaniment from my album.

The visual result was rather disappointing. My face looked screwed up most of the time and the transitions were all the same.

Several Australian storytelling colleagues got fantastic clips made and sent me their links- see next post- and I was inspired.

I made mine myself at home for a Uni assignment back in June, when I did the unit "Learning Technologies". I used my old digital video camera and then edited it using Windows WMV movie maker. It was a fantastic and challenging subject and accelerated my learning in the realm of Web 2 and computers. It boosted my confidence to just explore and have a go at things. I also discovered how many video tutorials there are online about all sorts of things.

However I found translating the .wmv file to You Tube size incredibly painful, frustrating and hard to find tutorials on. So I left it at high resolution, which may make it hard for people with computers with low capacity and speed and people on mobiles. Apple lets you translate any video clip to 4 different sizes to suit slow and fast computers as well as mobile phones.

It was a catalyst for me to change tribes to Apple as it is all rather simple on a Mac. It took months to save up for my new Apple but is well worth the investment.